Thursday, July 15, 2010

family quilt/summer quilts


My darling daughter asked me to make a family quilt to wrap us all inside.  I found myself drawn to Sunbonnet Sue because I'm an old Holly Hobby fan, and loved the idea of using her old favorite dresses as the skirts and bonnets for Sue.  I hand-dyed the yellow background(with turmeric) and used old shirting as the borders-beautiful piece of hemp fabric as the backing and organic wadding.  All the other fabrics are vintage.  I have more work on the quilt since this picture-lots of embroidery around the girls-butterflies and balloons.  It has become one of my favorite objects around.




Connecting seasons to colors through my fabrics-pale purples for the lavender surrounding my garden, pinks for the rambling roses and sprays of sweet peas and bleeding hearts that just began to fade. My board holds two such creatures-one, a brightly floral snowball arrangement;  the other, another drunkard's path that curls around to a jockey-cap centre-dark at the moment, but I plan to move it in other directions with some applique and embroidery.  Also making a forgiveness journal quilt that encourages me to forgive those who condescend, annoy or distract me from my serenity.  I add pieces gradually, some with only raw emotion, others more labor intensive-I plan to add a few more to the list as it's such an amazing release of energy.
enjoy your quilts, gardens and children!
                              

No comments:

Post a Comment